landlord property services in Edinburgh

Landlord Information - Preparing To Let

Getting Ready to let

If you have a mortgage or loan over the property you must contact your lender to obtain their permission to let the property. Some mortgage providers may wish to switch you to a different mortgage product.

As a landlord you remain responsible for insuring the property and contents. The tenant requires to insure his own belongings during the tenancy. You should contact your insurance provider to ensure that your current policy is suitable for renting the property.

Landlord Registration Scheme

You should register as a Landlord now, if you haven’t already done so. Your Landlord Registration reference requires to be included in any marketing or advert for your rented property. The most cost effective way to register is on-line with your local authority. Contact details are listed at

Getting Your Property Ready To Let

  • Presenting your property in a good condition and ensuring that everything is good working order is essential.
  • Your property requires to meet the legal obligations in terms of current legislation. As a Landlord you must comply with the conditions set out in The Repairing Standard.
  • At TRAQUAIR we have a good solid panel of insured professional Tradesmen who can handle any works or repairs required at your property.


Need assistance with your property improvements?
We can arrange and manage all works for you.

Contact us today to discuss your requirements:

Tel: 0131 510 8283

Legal Requirements & Certificates

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) EPCs) are needed whenever a property is built sold or rented.

You must order an EPC before you market your property to rent. From 9 January 2013 an Energy Performance Indicator must be included in all advertising for rental properties (web or otherwise) You must display the EPC somewhere in the property, e.g. in the meter cupboard or next to the boiler. An EPC contains:-

  • information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs
  • recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money

An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years.

Gas Safety Certificate

If there is a gas installation or appliance in your property you have an obligation to comply with under health and safety legislation to provide an annual gas safety certificate to your tenant. A landlord gas safety inspection can only be carried out by an appropriately registered gas engineer who appears on the Gas Safe Register.

All tenants must be given a copy of the annual gas safety certificate, showing that all gas installations and appliances have been checked.

Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)

The Housing (Scotland) Act 2014 introduced the requirement in Scotland for Landlords to have an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) carried out on all electrical installations, fixtures and fittings within their rental properties, a copy of which must be provided to the tenant.

The EICR lasts for 5 years and must be completed by a firm that is a member of an accredited registration scheme operated by a recognised body such as SELECT, NAPIT or NICEIC

Any problem with an electrical installation, identified within the EICR, must be rectified immediately. This can be done by recording the work completed on a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate.

Portable Appliance Test (PAT)

All electrical appliances in the property, supplied by the Landlord, must be PAT tested annually.

Brand new appliances (with receipt showing date of purchase) can be tested one year after date of purchase.

Legionella Risk Assessment

Legionnaires Disease is potentially a fatal lung infection caused when legionella bacteria is inhaled. The bacteria can exist in any man made water systems e.g. water storage systems, taps, pipework .

Private landlords have a duty to carry out legionnaires risk assessments on water systems in their properties. The assessment can be carried out by the Landlord himself, if he is competent to do so, or alternatively by a suitably qualified third party. The ultimate responsibility remains with the landlord.

Smoke & Heat Detectors

All rented properties must have a mains fitted smoke alarm in each principal room, one in every hallway and landing and a mains fitted heat sensor in the kitchen.

All alarms should be interlinked. The number and position of the alarms will depend on the size and layout of the property.


Carbon Monoxide Detectors

From 1 December 2015 devices must be installed in every room with a carbon fuel outlet or boiler etc. This can be either a mains fitted unit or 7 year battery unit.

Request our Landlord Pack Today! Tel 0131 510 8283